Behind the Urals

This is my documentation of my upcoming year in Ekaterinburg, Russia. You know, a place to keep track of all the vodka shots, give the play-by-play of the bear fights, assure my parents that I am still alive, and hopefully keep in touch with all of you.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Word of the Week: Homesickness

Homesickness: n. 1. Sadness because one is away from home. 2. What I was experiencing in massive amounts on a random Sunday last month.

After completing my first two months in Ekaterinburg and watching homesickness wash over each member of our international cohort, I have rethought exactly what homesickness means and why it afflicts us at a given moment.

From what I can tell, homesickness—much like culture shock—occurs at the moments when we no longer have patience for Russia, when we have a string of bad luck with salespersons and buses, when all we really want is a triple latte to go and instead we get a tiny cappuccino in a teacup that we have to consume in a café that is blaring techno music. It is in these moments that I long to be home. Usually, the feeling passes within a second, a minute, or an hour; I start speaking Russian with ease for a few minutes or I go to a museum and see something that I’d never see in America or Midore screams in excitement and I remember just how cool it is to be here. But every once in a while, the moments pile up too quickly and that’s when real homesickness hits.

And then what does it mean? It is still unclear, but from what I can tell, homesickness means actually grasping the physical distance between myself and my homeland. There are days when you all feel just a moment away. And there are other days when I think I can feel every river, hill, city, country, lake, sea, and ocean between myself and America. These are days when I know that I am trapped in the middle of an enormous landmass called Eurasia and that really, there is no escape.

I picked homesickness for the word of the week because a few weekends ago I battled my way through the worst wave of it to date. I actually had a wonderful weekend, but a series of unfortunate events that occurred within a hour of each other caused me to finally lose my patience with Russia. I came to Jen and cried for as long as I could. When I stopped to take a breath, she looked at me and said “Yup, it’s been a month.” As it happens, four years of living in Russia arms you with some skills for beating homesickness down. She sent me on a walk to an internet café an hour away and in the meantime went out and bought an American movie in English, orange Fanta, and popcorn. When I came back, not only was all this American comfort waiting for me, but also a huge ice cream cake that Midore had purchased especially for me. In the end, I not only felt better, but found myself thinking about how lucky I am to live with these wonderful people. I love our international community, because we are all battling our own way through a unique version of culture shock and homesickness, but we somehow manage to do it together and help each other out as we work our way through Russian life and culture.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy-

This sounds alot like my day #8 in St. Pete way back when, when i forced you to take me inside the mcdonald's on Nyevski Prospyekt and let me consume in record time a huge big mac with large fries and a coke.

Thanks for the update, with each new update i read i find myself on travelocity a little bit more often.

Sounds like you are having fun, keep up the good work!
dan

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy,
Thanks for the update. We are always so anxious to hear about your adventures. Take care and know that we are thinking of you!
Barb and Craig

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home