Behind the Urals

This is my documentation of my upcoming year in Ekaterinburg, Russia. You know, a place to keep track of all the vodka shots, give the play-by-play of the bear fights, assure my parents that I am still alive, and hopefully keep in touch with all of you.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Arrived!

Hey, just a quick note to let you all know that Laura and I arrived yesterday evening, alive and exhausted. We made it through customs, made it to our hotel, made it to a Teremok to eat some long-awaited blyini, and then promptly fell asleep for the next 12 hours. We have hit a few speedbumps, some expected (buying a train ticket to Moscow was as difficult as I recall, with the ticket-saleswoman yelling at me and indirectly calling me stupid the entire time) and some unexpected (my i-Pod had an identity crisis on the plane and ceased functioning).

Petersburg is beautiful and I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I have them. For now, we are off to wander some more, sleep some more, and then meet up with my friend Katya...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy,
Glad you made it ok. Sounds like some hassles, but sounds like fun, too. Did you figure out your ipod? When mine crashed, I thought I would die, but luckily, mine was easily reset through a series of manuevers. Do you know the secret? :) Your mom is just heading back up to Bemidji. I am reading your entries to grandma as I get them. She says hi and she loves you. Hope things go well. Kaka

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Betsy!

It's Mike. While you're actually in Russia, I'm just going to have to make do with Dmitri Sergeievich here at the UofC math department.

Please write lots of posts! I can't wait to read them!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoody!!!

check your email cause i wrote the ipod secrets that i know in my email to you!!!!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoody in case you were wondering who "ME" is, its my mom. ha ha. and by the way i almost have the entire Russian alphabet down; this has been a true test of our friendship. on an unrelated note: i am a goddess

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home